Automatic Transmission Repairs
Think that you need automatic transmission repairs? Automatic transmissions have become extremely sophisticated with additional gears and computerized electronic controls designed to work with engine controls. What goes on inside is a mystery to most, but if you want to understand what basic maintenance your transmission needs and what automatic transmission repairs you should be asking your mechanic about, you need to know a few automatic transmission basics.
Basic Components of an Automatic Transmission
- Bell Housing: This is the cone shaped metal case that you can see when you look underneath your car. If you have a front-wheel-drive car it’s stuck on the side of the engine under the hood. If your car is rear-wheel-drive, the transmission will be mounted underneath the car behind the engine.
- Gears: Even though you’re not consciously shifting them, an automatic transmission has gears. They are divided into main gears and planetary gears. You need all of these functioning to be able to drive.
- Fluid: Transmission Fluid is very important to an automatic transmission. All of the magic happens in the fluid. Most transmission fluids are red, good to know if you are looking for a leak.
- Filter: All of that fluid has to be clean for your car to shift gears at the right time. To keep things fresh, your automatic transmission has a filter to catch any gunk.
How To Tell If You Might Need Automatic Transmission Repairs
Now that you know a little about what’s happening in there, you can try to figure out why your transmission is acting up, or at least understand what your mechanic is talking about when you bring your vehicle for automatic transmission repairs. Transmission problems require immediate attention. The longer a problem is allowed to continue, the more permanent damage it can cause.
If you encounter any of the symptoms of a failed or failing transmission, bring your car to the experts at DNA Automotive for a diagnostic service. Our certified transmission technicians will discuss your need for automatic transmission repairs and get your vehicle back on the road, running properly, as quickly as possible. What you hear or observe while driving your car or truck is your best clue as to whether you have a transmission problem and whether you should bring your vehicle in and have the professionals take a look at it to assess whether you need automatic transmission repairs.
If you see or experience any of the symptoms listed on this page, it’s a good indication that you need automatic transmission repairs.
1) Is Your Transmission Fluid Level Correct?
It’s important to check your transmission fluid at least twice a year. Not only can a low fluid level cause your car to shift poorly, it can eventually lead to transmission damage, and a costly repair. If your car seems to be losing fluid on a regular basis, you may have a leak.
2) Is Your Transmission Fluid Leaking?
A leaky transmission can be an early indicator of serious problems and can’t be ignored. The fluid cools and lubricates the internal parts. In automatic transmissions, the fluid also transfers power and generates pressure needed to operate internal mechanisms. When fluid levels drop, the unit’s capacity to operate and cool the transmission is degraded. Without proper lubrication, parts begin to grind against each other and bits of debris can damage the unit’s inner workings.
Overheating caused by low fluid levels can do serious damage that could eventually require major automatic transmission repairs. Normal operating temperature for an automatic transmission is 80 degrees Celsius. When the temperature rises above 80 degrees the fluid oxidizes, turning a brown color, and may smell like burned toast. When heat degrades the fluid’s lubricating ability, varnish starts to accumulate on internal parts, like as the valve body, and can seriously reduce performance. When the temperature exceeds 120 degrees Celsius, rubber seals can start to harden, leading to leaks and loss of pressure.
Checking for leaks isn’t as difficult as it may seem. Your vehicle’s transmission is a closed system, so there are only a few places that can spring a leak. Given that transmission fluid is coloured and not clear, you should be able to notice leaks under your car or in your engine compartment fairly easily – all you have to do is take a close look. If in doubt – bring it in to your mechanic. They’ll be able to tell you for certain.
3) Is Your Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Clogged?
Your transmission’s filter is vital to its performance. If you haven’t replaced your filter in a while, be sure to do this before you start talking about automatic transmission repairs, rebuilds or replacements.
4) Is Your Automatic Transmission Making a Noise?
If you hear a whine when driving or a clunking sound when shifting, take your vehicle to a qualified transmission specialist right away! That noise may mean that internal parts are colliding with each other or that clean transmission fluid is not lubricating and cooling the moving parts. Your vehicle likely has a transmission problem if:
- You hear buzzing, whining or any other noise from your transmission
- You hear a clicking noise in transmission while in 4-wheel drive mode
- You hear a clunking sound from underneath the vehicle when you shift gears
The cause could be one of many:
- Your transmission fluid is low or needs replacing because it has become dirty
- There are internal problems in the transmission or transfer case
- The external controls or parts need adjustment or replacement
- Electrical components need to be adjusted or replaced
- In automatic transmissions, the transmission computer may need to be replaced
- Internal parts could be worn out or broken, which could mean a major repair
5) Is Your Transmission Slipping?
If your transmission slips between gear changes, or your clutch feels like it’s slipping, you could have a serious transmission problem. Transmissions are designed to shift smoothly from gear to gear at predetermined speeds. If it doesn’t, the problem could be one of several options:
- External controls need adjustment or replacement
- Electrical components need to be adjusted or replaced
- In automatic transmissions, the transmission’s computer might need to be replaced
- The fluid level is low or has insufficient pressure
- The clutch needs to be adjusted or replaced
- Internal parts may be worn down or damaged which could involve a major automatic transmission repair
In conclusion, most transmission problems can’t be fixed by the average do-it-yourselfer. There are just too many specialized tools and pieces of equipment you’ll need.
Here are just a few of the Automatic Transmission Repairs and Services we provide:
- External Diagnostic Service: Computer Scan, Test Drive, Visual Check
- Recommend Maintenance: Fluid and Filter Change (where applicable). Ask about how to keep your transmission on the road longer.
- Internal Diagnostic Check: Remove, disassemble and inspect all internal components of the transmission
- External Repairs: Minor repairs that can be performed without removing the transmission
- Reseal Services: Removing the transmission and replacing all external seals
- Minor Internal Repairs: Soft overhaul of transmission, including replacing seals and minor problem items
- Complete Transmission Overhaul: Rebuild transmission to meet or exceed manufacturer’s specs. Complete overhaul includes replacing of all seals and gaskets, clutches, bands, torque converter, and any other necessary items determined after performing an Internal Diagnostic Service
Take your car or truck to DNA Automotive for the best and most cost effective vehicle Repair and Service in Kitchener-Waterloo. Certified Mechanics and the Best Car Repair rates in Kitchener-Waterloo! Quality Repair Service – Quality Parts.
At DNA Automotive you will get one of the best Free computerized engine diagnostic services in the Kitchener-Waterloo Cambridge area. The technicians working at DNA Automotive are trained in state of the art engine diagnostics and will perform a computer scan to properly diagnose your driveability problem and estimate the correct required repairs the first time. We are always ready to talk to you about how to use the engine diagnostics results to get the best performance out of your vehicle.
We guarantee our parts and our labour for one year or 20,000 kilometers. We offer Auto Repair Financing – It’s Easy to get approved!